Monday, February 3, 2014

Searching for my personal style

As an interior designer I get asked this question pretty often
"What is your personal style?"

The truthful answer is I am still searching. I am searching for my design identity, what defines me and embodies the design language I speak. I used to go "Oh, you know, the pink and girly kind of thing." when frankly, I didn't have a single clue. No way I'd do up my bedroom in lace, frills and pink no matter how much I love that feminine associated colour.

But of late, I have developed an affinity towards a raw and structural design language. It is so transparent that everything can be seen at the first glance. It doesn't conceal but aims to reveal. Think polished concrete, timber, bricks. Yep. I love the structural integrity that is maintained in this style. The lack of embellishments is a welcome relief from our multifaceted world. I guess in a way I can say that I've grown tired of seeing poorly chosen colour palettes and girls caked in makeup. Enough of the poor colour choices.

The image below embodies everything I like to have in interiors. It's the GitHub Office in San Franscisco. That space looks fun and so creatively stimulating! I am hooked. I love the exposed ceiling, the rugged and worn looking furniture, the brick walls, raw concrete columns and timber dotting various areas of the office. For me, this is the epitome of design; it is something I can connect with on an emotional level (yes, we can and do form relationships with spaces! I studied that when I did environmental psychology so I'm not pulling your legs here). I'd kill to work in an office like this, period.



Just a random midnight musing.

1 comment: