Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Latest tech drools


I've been coveting the HTC Butterfly for quite some time now. Black and red is a super sexy combo! Why lah must it be so huge. This monster sized phone is not at all pocketable! Now if it were to come with a 4.5" screen with a thickness of around 8mm and also a battery size of around 2500 mAh or more, I'd snap it up in a jiffy.


Next up, the Sony Xperia Z. I really like the way it looks, and it comes in a stylish purple hue! But I'm not gonna pick up a phone that is a fingerprint magnet. I don't fancy the design of the on/off button -- it looks much too out of place! But I do like that it is water and dust resistant. It would be perfect for a person as clumsy as I am. Still very monstrous (and pricey).

The ZL is not coming to Malaysia, but I'm not minding it a bit. At almost 1cm thick, it is a fat phone for me. Its front facing camera positioned at the bottom does not exactly appeal to me either. Though I must say that I like it's size (width and height).


The Blackberry Z10 kind of fits the bill for me in terms of hardware design. My main gripe, however, is the OS. Having suffered at the hands of Windows Phone 7.5 for a sorry period of 1.5 years, my next phone purchase shall have an established OS. Either Android or iOS would be good. I have long since given up on Windows phones. And no matter how people rave over Windows Phone 8, I am a convert. GIVE ME MORE APPS. Enough said. And the camera of the Z10 fails to impress me. Another thing (other than the camera) that I've never liked about Blackberry is its asking price. I'll pass.


LG, Micromax and Nokia have failed to impress me with their designs. I was never a fan of the Optimus series. Or the Lumia for that matter, but I do like the camera with its floating lens technology and the wireless charging capability. But it's a brick of a phone. Sturdy it may be, I don't want such a huge phone. Girls have small pockets ok! My criteria goes this way: looks first, functionality second. I don't like fat phones -- anything above 9mm in depth is fat.

Nexus 4 is okay I suppose -- I do quite like the "disco ball" back (not surprising since I like glittery things), but it's form is outdated and much too reminiscent of the Samsung manufactured Nexus. Moreover, it would be nice to have an expandable storage at that price point. In reference to this article, I beg to differ. I'd much rather have the expandable storage and get confused any day. In fact, I'm feeling rather appalled at what Google thinks of its users. Man, thanks a lot for the confidence boost.



So, it boils down to both these 2 phones. The Note 2, whilst being everything I want, is too big for me to palm it. I really like the USB OTG capability on the S3, it is a super big plus point. And also the 3x4 on screen keyboard. I MISSED THOSE LIKE CRAZY. 3x4 keyboards should make a comeback! Paired with text input prediction, you can get your messages typed so quickly! I look back fondly at those days where I could text without looking at my phone. Days long past us now, sadly.

I like that Samsung had the foresight to equip last year's flagship with NFC. In this sense it makes it more future proof than the dual core iPhone 5. I find that the pop up play and multi view capabilities are really handy too. However I don't like the colour rendering of the screen, nor am I a fan of the screen. Despite the numbers and scores, it fails to win me over. Too dim, and very desaturated. The S2 was saturated to the point of being rather inaccurate. Samsung is just not getting it right.

On the other hand, the iPhone 5 wins in terms of design (pocketability!), hardware and camera. If iTunes weren't needed to transfer files, photos and music, that would be a major score for Apple too. Too bad its battery is so teeny. No doubt LTE would decapitate it, and I'm a sucker for mobile web browsing. So I need the juice! Love the screen on the iPhone though. They have got the recipe down pat.


All in all, I would feel like I'm getting more bang for buck with the Samsung. Can't wait for the La Fleur edition to hit Malaysian shores! It could be the ultimate deciding factor for me. But how I wish the S3 had Note 2 capabilities and specs. 2GB ram! S Pen!


Torn between choices.



P.S.
I am not really looking forward to the phones coming out this year as they are all likely to be gigantic monsters. A rumoured 5" 1080p screen for the S4. That's really likely seeing what its competitors have up their sleeves. But it is too big -- they are all too big for me :(


No comments:

Post a Comment